Friday, July 03, 2009

Homer & Jethro!


I've just rediscovered my cassette tape of Homer & Jethro's Jazz from the Hills! Wonderful musicianship and great energy for a Getting Things Done sort of day. Homer & Jethro predate Squirrel Nut Zippers by thirty years, but the music has the same energy with none of the singing or kitch.

Ah, cassettes! I have about 400 still, in neat boxes from IKEA. I rarely even look at them, and yet the collection has several treasures that I'm not sure I will be able to find online or on that other obsolescent media the CD. About half of the collection was my grandfather's. I love looking through them wondering what attracted him to the Mills Brothers, or what his favorite Sons of the Pioneers song was. Did he know Montana Slim?

Dr. Kelly, my friend and Financial Systems professor, introduced me to the music of Homer & Jethro. They were the stage band for the Grand Old Opry. Usually they played parodies of current country & bluegrass songs. The funniest part was the exceptional production values given to all of their work.

Back to productivity for now. Just sharing my bliss.

No comments: