Thursday, May 04, 2006

Community Relations

How do you create community? I know that you are. Each of us makes, accepts, or declines opportunities to engage the beings around us a hundred times a day. Do you pay attention to this?

Each situation has so much to offer. I am helping to run an organic vegetable co-operative. Yes, you can buy tasty fruits and veggies at a good price, but it is the community coming together to create this that makes it a) special and b) possible to do (our prices barely cover our little overhead & labor costs).

I have been less involved with the front end lately, just stepping up to hold more of the back end processes. When I return to our public space I notice a very different, more muted group. There seem to be fewer personal interactions. Or maybe I'm just not touched by them so I don't see the community building interactions? I don't know, but I'm concerned.

I want to bring our community creating aspect to the foreground for our volunteers and cashiers, etc. who are publiclly holding the space for our co-op, but I'm not sure how. Somehow, "hey guys, let's be patient and listen to the whole person, while also continually inviting others to participate" seems too abrupt and "hey remember we're building community" just inadequate.

Stop. Listen. Learn.

Thanks for visiting.

No comments: